If you donate your plasma you can indeed be paid for doing just that. Yes, this is a fact. Many people earn money regularly for donating plasma.
You must understand how you too can get paid to donate plasma and make a regular income.
So, here is a post on how to get paid to donate plasma.
What is plasma
Plasma is the colorless watery fluid of the blood and lymph that contains no cells. This fluid suspends the main blood cells erythrocytes, leukocytes, and thrombocytes.
According to WebMD, plasma is the liquid portion of your blood. While plasma is approximately 90% water, it contains important minerals, hormones, proteins, and nutrients.
Why the need for Blood Plasma
Plasma is needed to accomplish many things on the body. These include:
- It helps the body to fight off infections.
- It helps the blood cells to function properly.
- It helps to transport nutrients, hormones, and proteins to cells throughout the body.
- It helps in the development of growth hormones partially responsible for the growth of bones and muscles.
- It provides clotting factors so you can stop bleeding when you have been injured.
- It helps to maintain normal blood volume and blood pressure levels.
- It helps to eliminate chemical wastes from body cells by dissolving the substance.
What is Donated Plasma Used For?
Physicians use plasma for the treatment of numerous types of serious health issues.
For instance, the chemicals and antibodies in plasma enable the body or blood to achieve clotting which is important for medical emergencies including trauma and burns.
Besides, other medical issues which the blood plasma comes handy with include:
It helps in the treatment of cancer patients – blood plasma is needed by people with leukemia and other types of cancer. In most cases, these patients require a plasma transfusion as part of the treatment procedure.
It helps for developing new treatments – The proteins and antibodies in plasma are used in the development of treatments for rare medical diseases. This includes specific issues with the immune system.
it helps in treating Hemophilia: Hemophilia is a congenital tendency to uncontrolled bleeding.
This usually affects males and is transmitted from mother to son. In other words, this condition occurs when an individual does not have the necessary clotting factors.
Plasma can be used to treat this rare condition.
it helps with transplant surgery: Plasma is used during transplant surgery. It is used to treat patients who are having a bone marrow or liver transplant surgery.
Basic Requirements to donate plasma for money
Before you can donate plasma for money, there are certain requirements you have to fulfill. These are the requirements:
- You must be between the ages of 18 and 69 years.
- You must pass a basic physical examination and be free of any infectious diseases.
- You must disclose if you have ever been diagnosed with Hepatitis C and/or HIV.
- You must weight at least 110 lbs.
- You must have a social security card or legal government ID to prove citizenship
- You must have the correct levels of blood, iron, and hemoglobin
- You must be clinically diagnosed by a medical professional and the documentation of the diagnosis and/or treatment may be required.
How you can become ineligible to donate plasma
Some things can make you ineligible as a plasma donor. You must understand these beforehand so you don’t waste your time and money. So, you can be disqualified or become ineligible if you:
- Received a tattoo or body piercing in the last year
- Have a history of hepatitis or are HIV positive
- Have a history of cancer in the family
- Are below the age of 18 years
- Cannot prove your citizen status.
- Weight the acceptable weight.
- Did not meet any other requirements as demanded by the physician or donation center.
Procedures for Donating Plasma for Money
To donate for money, you have to undergo the required procedures.
For a start, before you go make sure that:
- You hydrate
- You eat healthily
- You avoid caffeinated drinks and alcohol
- You prepare the needed paperwork
After completion of the needed paperwork and meeting of the requirements then you can visit the donation center to conclude the process.
This is how the OctaPharma Plasma FAQs explained the process:
“Donating plasma is similar to giving blood.
A trained staff member called a phlebotomist puts a sterile needle in your arm vein to draw blood.
The blood is then cycled through special, sterile equipment that separates plasma from the other parts of your blood.
Your plasma is then collected in a container, while the other parts are safely returned to your body. This process is called plasmapheresis.”
How much can you earn for plasma donation
You can earn $20 to $50 per donation. On average, you can make up to $400 in a month as a plasma donor.
You are allowed to donate at plasma twice a week. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) allows 2 donations within 7 days, with at least 48 hours between donations.
So, if you get paid around $50 per donation then in a month you will earn $400.
Find a Plasma Donation Center Near You
There are lots of places where you can go to donate plasma. An Internet search will lead you to the plasma donation center near you.
Some of the websites or resources you can check out donate plasma and get paid include:
- B Positive
- BPL Plasma
- Biotest Plasma Center
- CSL Plasma
- Canadian Plasma Resources
- GCAM Plasma
- Interstate Blood Bank
There are many other plasma donation centers you can check out with. To get access to the above and other donation centers, check out the DonatingPlasma.org website to find a donor center near you.
As you can see, it’s indeed possible to get paid just to donate plasma and there are many plasma donation centers out there that really pay. This article showed you all that.
For those who don’t even know what this is all about, it revealed how it all works, what the plasma is used for, how much you can get paid and the requirements you need to fulfil before you can donate.
And no, not everyone can get accepted for this, so make sure you read the guidelines of any particular donation center before getting started with them. You can visit their websites or even call them on the phone to ask them what is needed if you want to be a donor.